Favorite Balance & Foot Tools
Below are tools I often in private sessions and foot workshops. I don’t officially endorse any of these products or take responsibility for any of their claims or dangers.
Brock String – Vision Convergence Tool
Great for vision and balance issues
- 10 Foot Brock String
- Convergence Insufficiency Trainer
Purchase at Amazon
- Black balance board can help improve core strength, coordination, posture, and balance
- Suitable for a wide range of exercises, including push-ups, plank, standing balance poses, and targeted workouts for strengthening specific muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints
- Solid wood top supports up to 265 pounds; non-slip surface for a secure grip
Level 1: Flat
Level 2: Circular
Balance 3-pack from Amazon
Foam Balance Pad
Easily integrating into any workout routine, physical therapy or rehabilitation program, the balance pad provides a safe, destabilized surface to improve overall balance and increase core strength. Perfect for seniors and those recovering from injury or surgery, the durable foam balance pad increases joint stability and motor skills, safely strengthening weak ankles, knees and hips.
BOSU Pro Balance Trainer
- Pro balance trainer for Commercial Use
- Weighs just under 19 pounds
- Latex-free, burst-resistant material
- Included: (1) BOSU Balance Trainer, (6) DVD Downloads, (1) Integrated Training Manual (Download), and (1) Hand Pump.Proudly Made in the USA
- Dual action hand pump
Balls & Spikey Balls
You’ll find that you want to start with a bigger softer ball (tennis ball). As your muscles and fascia loosen up, you’ll find you can tolerate and like the spiker and stiffer balls. Also, your feet might want one consistency but say your back or IT Band needs another consistency. So having a variety ends up being what most clients want for long-term maintenance. Tennis balls and lacrosse balls also can work quite well.
Pinky Balls by Balanced Body
- SMALL MASSAGE BALL: Our small rubber ball measures 2.5″ (7 cm). It is often used as a massage ball for feet, but it can also be used for other target areas, such as the shoulders, neck, hips, and hands. It can help improve standing posture and gait.
- DURABLE & COMFORTABLE: Our strong ball massager is made out of hard rubber, making it extremely durable. Plus, the hard natural rubber helps to provide intense pressure to those extra-stubborn spots that hold lots of tension.
- DESIGNED FOR ACTIVE LIFESTYLES: Our mini massager ball is well suited for athletes and fitness enthusiasts who have sore or tense muscles. Spice up your home-gym equipment and daily routine with this hard rubber ball.
- TRAVEL MASSAGE BALL: Due to its small and lightweight design, this self-massaging tool can easily be moved. No matter where you go, your Pilates exercise routine won’t get off track because you can take this ball with you when you travel.
- BALANCED BODY: Balanced Body is dedicated to providing Pilates-based education and equipment that empowers users to be mindful of movement, make healthy lifestyle changes, and ultimately find balance.
FitNext Massage Balls
Feet, Back, Neck, Hands – Spiky Body Massager Rollers for Plantar Fasciitis, Deep Tissue, Muscle Relief, Trigger Point Therapy.
- SPIKY MASSAGE BALL SET – includes 3 balls with hard, medium and soft spikes of varying length for different exercises and therapy
- RELIEVES PAIN AND TENSION – exercise roller balls massage your body, reach deep tissue, target trigger points and relax sore muscles
- UNIVERSAL MASSAGE TOOLS – with more than 200 pressure points they can be used as foot balls, back rollers, neck, shoulder and hand massagers
- DURABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT – 3.15 inch exercise roller balls are extremely portable and can be carried anywhere you need them
- RELATED – foam roller, plantar fasciitis ball, therapy ball for hands, vibrating massager, rolling spike ball, spiked fascia roller, stiff neck relief, lacrosse therapy ball
“Gumball” bouncy balls
- Just ask Virginia for one.
Yamuna Body Rolling Foot Wakers
- Stimulates the feet and improves circulation
- Versatile, convenient and easy to use
- Compact, portable and perfect for travel
- Used for people with fallen arches, plantar fascitis, sore feet, reflexology, bunions and hammertoes
- Kit contains 2 Yamuna Foot Wakers and instructional DVD
Brain Speed Ball
Developed by Trent McEntire, McEntire Pilates. See Home Workouts for speed ball games.
Brain speed ball work is appropriate for every person, any level, athlete or seniors as well as kids.
Purchase from Begin Again:
Calf Stretching Foam Wedges
Using a wedge is much better for your feet than standing off a step or stair. A wedge will support your whole foot while stretching.
My own mentor’s recommendation is to put one in your bathroom and use it while brushing your teeth. It’s a great way to get the stretch twice a day. I have the twins doing this. You could also put it by the kitchen sink and stand on it while you do dishes.
Economical Calf Wedge from Amazon
- Stretch the calf, plantar side of the feet, ankle, and Achilles tendon
- Comes as a set of 2
- Each wedge measures 12″L x 12″W x 3. 5″H at the tallest
- Wedges can be stacked for more incline
Middle of the road and excellent quality:
- 100% Foam
- Ideal for stretching, strengthening and rehabilitation at home or in the clinic, these foam incline boards are easier-to-use and more affordable than wooden, metal or plastic alternatives.
- OPTP Slant boards are integral in the prevention and treatment of common lower-leg and foot problems such as Achilles tendonitis, heel spurs, shin splints, calf strains, plantar fasciitis, overuse syndromes and post-surgery contraction.
- They’re perfectly suited for stretching and weight-bearing exercise at home or in a clinic. Can also be used to improve the sitting posture of children.
- These lightweight, but sturdy, slant boards are constructed of special weight-bearing foam, making them easier-to-handle and more cost-effective compared to wooden, metal or plastic boards. 18° incline.
- Measure 11¾” L x 11¾” W x 3¾” H with an 18° incline.
The BEST: Balanced Body Pilates Arc
My favorite tool for calf stretching.
- 3-IN-1 TOOL: This 3-in-1 Pilates Arc can be used as a Pilates barrel to open up your back or as a spine corrector to stretch your spinal muscles. You can also use it as a wedge by sliding it onto the shoulder rests of your Reformer to challenge your strength and mobility.
- VERSATILE TRAINER: This foam back exercise equipment is an excellent tool for practitioners who are just getting started with Pilates as well as those who want to challenge themselves. It stretches the muscles, corrects the posture, conditions the whole body, and promotes stability.
- TARGETS THE WHOLE BODY: This arc trainer has a unique patented shape. It features steep but gently curving sides to help practitioners exercise their arms and shoulders, spine and lower back, and legs and feet. With its ergonomic design, it comfortably fits small to large body types.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & VERSATILE: Our Pilates Arc weighs only 4 lbs., making it very easy to move around. It is fitted with a detachable wedge that you can flip over to use for core strengthening and balance training. This tool can be used as stand-alone equipment or combined with your Reformer.